1. Parenting

Elizabeth Kennedy

Stephenie Meyer's Vampire Series - For What Age?

By September 30, 2008

From what I've read about Stephenie Meyer's vampire series, I always assumed it was for high school students and older. However, there has been a lot of publicity about the movie version of her book Twilight, and I have been wondering if middle school and younger kids are also interested in the books and the movie. I know that the series has a lot of adult fans, but I don't know any kids 12 and under who have read the books. Has anyone read them in your family? Would you recommend them? If so, for what age group(s)? Click on "Comments" below and share your thoughts about the books in the Twilight series: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

For more information, see:
Book Review of Twilight (About.com: Bestsellers)
Book Review of New Moon (About.com: Bestsellers)
Twilight: The Movie (About.com: Hollywood Movies)

Comments
September 30, 2008 at 1:00 pm
(1) Miss Jay says:

My daughter is 11 and has no interest in the series but my friend’s 12 year old and all her friends are crazy about the series. I went to the midnight sale party for Breaking Dawn and saw quite a few prepubescent girls there so it seems there are 9,10,11 year olds reading it. I know a jr. high librarian who said all the jr high girls love them. It depends on the girl’s maturity level, I think.

September 30, 2008 at 7:57 pm
(2) Meridith says:

I actually believe that the Twilight series really is more for older ages. I’m 21, and there are some issues that even I am uncomfortable with.

October 1, 2008 at 10:01 am
(3) Ronna Keith says:

I am a youth services librarian from Connecticut. Most of the 12 year old girls in my town have read the series. However, since they love the book (Twilight), they are very skeptical of the movie. They have watched the trailers over and over and are already complaining about certain scenes. As with many people, they were less than enthusiastic about the last book.

October 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm
(4) fanny says:

My daughter is 14, started the series at 13 and loves them. She had even re-read them as have many of her friends. The last book had an ending most kids found unsatisfactory, but my daughter liked it. She is mad that the next book has been delayed.

But most of her friends reading the books are between 12 and 16. I plan to read the series too.

Oh and yes the kids are going to see Twilight the movie, but are pulling out all the things that are different. I did it with the Harry Potter movies. I wouldn’t have like Jurrasaic Park had I read the book first. Many times the movie doesn’t do the book justice and with Twilight these girls are in love with Edward and/or Jacob main characters, so its natural for it fall short of expectation (same happened to me with Interview with a Vampire and Queen of the damned, no actor could live up to the Lestat in the book).

October 2, 2008 at 11:07 am
(5) valeria says:

My twelve years old daughter loves Meyer’s books. I’ve read them too and they are entertaining and plenty of that romantic thing we adore at that age. After having a look at the movie trailer both of us dissappointed about changes from the original, however we’re planning to have a look at the full piece.

October 2, 2008 at 5:36 pm
(6) Rachel says:

As others have said, it honestly depends on your maturity level. I could easily see a ten or eleven year old reading them, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

October 4, 2008 at 1:51 pm
(7) Matthew says:

These books are very inappropriate for kids. I mean, the fourth book is a glorious celebration of sex and pregnancy.

October 6, 2008 at 9:21 pm
(8) Vega says:

Fanny, I totally agree wit habout lestat. anyway i have a friend that is 12 and he says the books are awesome. I haven’t read the book but i plan to.

October 7, 2008 at 3:33 am
(9) Carolsue says:

My daughter is 13, soon to be 14, and loves the books. So do I, for that matter.

October 9, 2008 at 10:03 am
(10) Carmen says:

I totally agree with Matthew. The Twilight series is not appropriate for children. It glorifies a kind of romantic love that is not only unrealistic but sets the stage for abuse.
Literary speaking, reading The Twilight series is like eating a marshmallow. It is fluffy and sweet and addictive, hardly nutritious and, in excess, bad for you.

October 9, 2008 at 9:49 pm
(11) courtney says:

hey i am younger than 12 and read twilight and i am on the second one. I know a lot of kids that have read the book and i think it is a great book for all ages.

October 10, 2008 at 6:07 pm
(12) Kristen says:

I purchased three copies of each book for my shelves in a middle school library last year and they constantly stayed checked out. This year, my new library only has one copy of each but at least 10 holds for each!
I haven’t read them for myself because they are constantly checked out. I have asked three teachers who have read them about their content and they all felt it was appropriate.
Looking back on my middle school days, I was checking out V.C. Andrew’s books!! As I get older and more prudish, I need to take a step back and remember what it is like to be a young teenager. If you feel uncomfortable with your children reading it, but know that they want to, then read it with them and talk about the books. Allow moments as these to open a dialogue that can often get stifled between parent and child during the teen years. Otherwise, these books are good for students because he gets them to read! If you take it off the shelves, students will only want to read it even more and borrow it from someone else — they want what they can’t have.
Just a suggestion.

October 10, 2008 at 11:35 pm
(13) nelle says:

I have a nine year old desperate to read these but I also think they are inappropriate for her age. As some commenters have mentioned these books are fluff- and sexist borderline abusive fluff at that. As an adult I read them and could see them for what they are typical helpless woman/forceful man nonsense- but I’d hate for these books to be any preteen’s first intro to romance. flip open to any part of the book and check out the language used for Edwards dialog- He “comands” “orders” etc, he never just says anything. Contrast this with Bella. Also,at the end of twilight Bella awakes in the hospital needing to lie to her parents about what happened so she asks Edward what she should tell them, to which he says something like, tell them you fell down the stairs, you are so clumsy, they’ll believe it, and she felt comforted by his taking care of her.
That’s sure not what I want my kid to fantasize about.

October 11, 2008 at 9:08 am
(14) Chloe Bowker says:

hi,
My name is chloe and i’m really looking forward to seing the twilight movie! im twelve years old and have read all four books, and i loved every single one of them.!
im hopin we could all find out about the film seing age asap so i can see it for my birthday when it comes out in november!

October 17, 2008 at 5:06 pm
(15) Kathleen says:

I am a 24 year old business woman/model. I read the Host… and have been hooked on Stephanie’s books ever since. If one can read, understand, and enjoy a piece of literature, does it truly matter how old the reader is? The content is not difficult to process… I think it depends on personal interest rather than age.

October 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm
(16) Samantha says:

I read the first three Twilight books when I was eleven years old, and I loved them. I didn’t find them to be above my maturity level at all. Even the fourth book was an easy read and the sex is never explicit. It does depend on your maturity level I suppose, but many tween girls I know love Twilight. Then again, my mom and aunt love tham and they’re in their forties! The movie looks like it will be disappointing and it strayed away from the book. However, I intend to see it.

November 5, 2008 at 11:45 am
(17) brittany roy says:

these are very fun to read,cause most of them are very instering to read thank you for letting me to comment this..

brittany renae roy

November 5, 2008 at 3:16 pm
(18) Louiie says:

well to depend on these little girls that are reading the book and expire on the characters. Im starting to read twilight and i am loving every second of the book. The hopes and dreams these children have and the excitement in the novel is ove welled and i think you should write more of the storys cause im ready to read lots of them. Me and my child. Thank you for putting smiles on my childs face and keep writing them they are really good.

November 6, 2008 at 5:37 pm
(19) Hayley says:

I am half way through Eclipse and am 30 and I wouldn’t want my 12 year old daughter reading he series. Strong issues in it, great read but would wait for 15yrs and over…

November 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(20) Cyndi Nuhfer says:

I’m 31 and I love the series. There is no way I’d let my 9 year old daughter, who is a very advanced reader, read them though. Her maturity level just isn’t there. Yes, Breaking Dawn does involve some adult topics, including sex. I find nothing wrong with it though, as it doesn’t go into detail. And what’s wrong with it portraying sex as glorious? I have no problem with my daughter reading the series, just not at this age.

November 16, 2008 at 9:46 pm
(21) sam says:

I’m seven I’ve read the first book and I loved it.

November 17, 2008 at 5:21 pm
(22) kara says:

I’m 10 I read the first one but my parents won’t let me read the 2nd one. Do u think I should read it?

November 17, 2008 at 7:45 pm
(23) Emily says:

I loved all 4 of the twilight books, and am siked for the movie, I am 13. I skipped around a lot in the 4th book, a little too… grapic 4 me, and most other kids, I’d say, under 15. If your mature enough to handle them, and remember that they are VERY fiction I think they’re great! I also would totally recomend The Host also by Stephenie Meyer!

November 18, 2008 at 9:38 pm
(24) Jenny says:

I think these books are appropriate for anyone who can udersand & appreciate them. The kissing & sex is never explicit, as someone else commented earlier, and they were married, so theres nothin wrong there. As for Edward being controling u oviously misenterpreted the book and the fect that hes just very protective. These are my fav. books ever, and thats sayin something because I’ve read alot of amazing books.

November 19, 2008 at 7:16 pm
(25) Sandy says:

I am shocked that parents would want their young children to read such books. I am currently in the middle of Twilight and have friends who have read the entire series.

As for my children…not one of them will touch this book until they’re at least 13 (and ready for such content), for the content is definitely not appropriate for younger children and their stage of development.

Somehow I feel we want our kids to grow up too fast. As for the movie, It’s PG 13…for a reason. And from what I’m seeing from the trailer, it’s not going to fit the bill…I’m sure Pattinson is a good actor…but he certainly doesn’t appear to be the Edward I pictured. In fact, I think he looks like the typical 1930s vampire stereotype.

December 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(26) LAgirl says:

I just finished the 3rd book-I am an adult with small kids. I don’t think these books (as fluffy as the first was) were meant for 10 and 12 year olds. I think Hollywood and society has done a great job on spinning them to kids.

The scenes of desire/passion (not sex), sneaking around her father, sneaking her boyfriend in her room, etc. are not the best things for young girls to read. The problem in society is we have become so relaxed on what is appropriate for kids.

I think the complex decisions Bella needs to make and the irresponsible ones she does make are above many kids at this age. I think they will see all the hype with the books/movie and of course want to read them. But as a parent it is our decision to make on whether to allow them to read it or not. My advice would be to read it first and then decide.

For me, personally, I wouldn’t let mey 10 or 12 year old read it. I think 13 (min) and above might be fine for book 1. Books 2-3 become more complex and dark.

December 2, 2008 at 2:02 pm
(27) EVELYN says:

I believe these are for people from the ages of 16 and up…..I would not let my 12 year old read them……..but when they are old enough I highly recommend them, best reading I have had since the dragonlance series.

December 6, 2008 at 1:56 am
(28) lily blaze says:

I think the twilight saga is prefect for tweens. I’m 12 and am a total twi-hard!I read Breaking Dawn the night it came out and had no problem reading it and for those moms that think as I quote “this is NOT suitialbe for girls under 17″ then you havent seen the mobs of twi-hards at my school(2 out of 5 girls to be clear!) or any were else in the world that are in grade school and read Breaking Dawn without blushing! I think that if your dauhter (or son, their are boys reading twilight) wants to read twilight or see the movie, you have to let them! This book series is perfectly fine for ages 8 & up through book 3 and ages 10 & up for book 4. for a last word if your child doesn’t like reading, they will like reading after Twilight(it worked for me!)

December 10, 2008 at 11:25 pm
(29) Kiki M. says:

I read the whole twilight series and then decided to share it with my 10 year old daughter. The book is very popular with girls her age. She wasn’t the only one in her class to see the movie, although she was probably the only one required by her mother to read the entire book first! Now that she’s finished with the series I’m scrambling for something else to read with her.

December 12, 2008 at 11:12 am
(30) Courtney says:

I LOVE this book!!!I would suggest it to any girl of any age.It was soooooo adictive that no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t put it down. Everyone should read this amazing book!!!

December 21, 2008 at 10:36 am
(31) Kristina says:

These books are am-azing. Yeah, they might be innapropriate, but so .. your kids are gunna have to learn it SOONER or later. Why not now ? Just tell them vampires are mystical creatures and you shouldn’t have sex until you’re at least 21 :)

December 21, 2008 at 2:18 pm
(32) aj says:

im 10 and im almost done with the series.there great!

December 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm
(33) twilight fan 4 ever says:

I think anyone that can be mature about a fantasy love story can read this series. I am 12 and i think the series got tweens, like me, learning that they can enjoy a book. Me and my bff dont like reading but when i read the series now i want my mom to take me to the book store like every week. Twilight showed me the path that reading is not a bore, that it is just the begining of the rest of my life. If it were not for bella and edward i would still be watching t.v. with drool sticking out of my mouth all day. so i would say if you are mature anyone over 10 can can read it.

January 19, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(34) twilight lover says:

im 11 and read the first 2 books mixed reviews on the last 2 books .i am mature and wondering am i old enough ?

p.s.first 2 books rock

January 21, 2009 at 1:39 pm
(35) Twilight-aholic says:

Wow, those comments from 12 year olds so aren’t, just poor attempts at posing as one to promote reading young. I loved the books, and believe that Stephenie did a wonderful job keeping morals in a vampire themed book targeted to modern day people/youth. I don’t have teens or preteens yet, and am not sure what I’ll do for mine, but I know that even with vague descriptions of scenes that I do not want my young girls to be entertaining sexual fantasies and thinking it’s okay for boys to stay over even when nothing is going on, etc. Does this mean they can’t read them, perhaps no, but I think it means actively discussing the content with them and helping them understand where their morals should be, and what is appropriate, etc. As for the actual sex in the books, I was shocked that when it came time for it, it wasn’t described but skipped right over. Yes, things were talked about later, but never in great graphic detail, and yes after marriage. So, Stephenie has already set the stage for a nice discussion about sex being a wonderful good thing in marriage. I think there are ways to be a person of morals, and teach children to keep their morals, but still enjoy the series. It will just take being an active parent discussing the mature themes with your children, and also choosing an appropriate age/maturity level for them to be ready to read and engage in discussion about the topics. And I love the chivalry and protective nature of Edward, and Bella’s delicacy. I don’t think Edward was manipulating her at all, the books are all about her defying his every wish for her to have a normal good future. They were just meant to be together.

January 21, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(36) Patti says:

I am a school librarian and I have read the books. I will be getting the books for the library and I will have them available for the eighth graders. I have had fourth graders and older ask me for the book and am surprised that some of them have already read the books. I don’t feel the books are appropriate for anyone younger than eighth grade.

January 22, 2009 at 9:28 pm
(37) BriAnna jeffcoat\ says:

im 11yrs old and i’ve raed alll the books not
to brag but i read them in 5 days all 4 of them and yes i would recomend them 4 11yrs and up

January 23, 2009 at 10:45 am
(38) Tierney says:

Im 17 going on 18 and i love the twilight saga. I read all the books 3 times each and i have seen twilight 5 times in theaters. The books are really great and the movie is amazing.

January 27, 2009 at 8:59 pm
(39) madison says:

I`m only nine and ive read them all. It is definetly not apropriate unless your machore but i no 7 year olds who read it and 46 year old and i definetly recomend it

January 28, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(40) Norah says:

Im a 10 year old girl and Ive read the 1st and 2nd books and i wanna read the 3rd and 4th!my mom said i could read the 3rd but not the 4th!i need to proove to her its ok to read both!UUUGHHH!Its hard being a kid!

January 30, 2009 at 10:57 am
(41) Mattie (aka: Vampire girl) says:

I am 12 years old and I know a couple 8 or 9 year old girls who have read them. I am actually rereading the books. I LOVE Edward Cullen!!!! He is so HOT!! I loved the movie. I can’t wait for the “New Moon” movie to come out!!!

February 2, 2009 at 2:09 pm
(42) amentii says:

My daughter borrowed these from her friend and read them, and someone suggested to me she not read the third book due to it being, “All about sex…” But then another college aged woman told me that the books were appropriate for my daughter (12 yrs old). So, I told her she could read the last book. Then I decided to read posts about it. I cannot sit down and read fiction anymore, for the life of me (10 yrs of college destroyed my love for reading) so I won’t read the books as all fiction bores me. But I will say — when I was 12 I read VC Andrews like another poster above, and remember reading about a brother and sister falling into sexual love with one another, a love that lasted into their adulthood after being stuck in an attic, and I loved the stories. I don’t think they “messed me up” in any way, in fact I think it opened my mind to a strange sexuality in a way that my parents would never discuss with me. I believe there is all sorts of abuse in fiction — look at Stephen King’s books, I read The Stand when I was 16 and got hooked on horror novels. When you think of it everything can be banned, like earlier books that contained racism, even the Bible is full of sex, look at the Song of Solomon, and the violence in that book is extreme. Killing every child in a city??? So what books are we going to ban next or stop our kids from reading? I think we have to consider the fact that fiction is something (and stories) that have existed for 10s of 1000s of years in human history and it intrigues people. So, I’ve decided to let my daughter read all of the books. I think its a parent’s obligation to talk to one’s children about sex, violence, abuse, etc. and let them know the difference between right and wrong, that will make them stronger than attempting to ban this or that piece of media that might mentally destroy them. We could, after all, be Amish and then when struck with “reality” just not be able to function in it, so that is the alternative.

February 10, 2009 at 11:20 pm
(43) imavampire says:

im 12 and it is the one and only best book on this earth! u gotta read it!! even tho there are some mature content in it…its still a great romance and adventure book to read and it introduces ur mind to using more imagination

February 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm
(44) Taylor Hill says:

I am a 13 year old.(I am on my grandmas computer). I have read the whole Twilight series and I loved it so much that I went out and bought all the books… I think that the age groups for this series would be about my age because alot of the students in my seventh grade class are stick in the Twilight books.(I finished before them along with two friends which I am not giving their names.)It only took me three to four days to read each of them except New Moon because of it being sad… but anyways my cousin is only 10 and she wants to take my Twilight book home already… I believe that you should be alittle bit older for Breaking Dawn though.. you should know why if you have read it…Well I am using my grandmas computer and email address but you can comment or message me if you want.. just ask to speak to Taylor Hill… I figured since you were trying to figure out what ages you thought should be reading these books I would give you my opinion because I am just a young teen who just discovered the miraculous books…

March 23, 2009 at 12:26 am
(45) Lizzie says:

I’m 11 years old and i thought it was absolutely AWSOME!!! I know it is a little innaproprate but i think they are just great.i red then all in less then a week and sure i thought it was a little gross and disturbing with the whole breaking dawn thing, but I didn’t think it was such a big deal because all us fifth graders have had the talk and sixth graders(like me) have had it at least twice in school and a little bit with our parents so yeah i think it’s best for grade 5 and abover but i still think it was okay for us to read.

March 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(46) Sergio says:

After reading all the posts and talking to some parents, I’ve decided to read the book with my 11 yo daughter. Since all of her friends have read it and are already talking about it, I’d rather be the one she goes to if she wants to discuss a mature topic, not here 11 yo friends. I will post back after the read.

April 1, 2009 at 10:55 am
(47) Heather says:

I am 14 and i love the books
10 and up

April 2, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(48) carol says:

You are kidding yourself if you think younger readers have not caught on. In our school, it started to run wild among the middle school, and now is very popular in the 5th and 4th grade. I don’t think parents are aware of the story, they just buy it from scholastic book club because their girls want it.

April 14, 2009 at 8:57 pm
(49) Mike says:

Well, I came looking to see what opinions other parents had about letting their child read this book. I have 13 year old and I was not too sure, until she pointed out the book is on the AR (Advanced Reading) list..
While this does not really tell me anything concretely, I would “hope” that the individuals responsible for adding books to the AR list actually read the books to see if they are age appropriate.

With this, I will let my 13-year old read the book..
My two cents..

April 19, 2009 at 8:21 pm
(50) READER says:

Hi, I have read the 1st and 2nd book and i thought they were absolutely great! I dont feel that you have to be in 8th grade i think if you feel mature enough to read it then go ahead. Ofcourse if you are any younger then 11 maybe not so much but otherwise it is GREAT THAT YOU WANT TO READ SUCH A MATTURE BOOK!

April 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(51) Lteacher says:

I sincerely believe that these books do not promote anything harmful. Of course, they are unrealistic (hello, vampires?) If a child is interested in reading the books, and continues through it, then they should be allowed to. If it is above their interest or maturity, they’ll stop. And to the librarian who is censoring for the sake of kids’ innocence: putting an age limit on a book only makes it more tempting to kids, by the way. If they’re interested in books about romantic love, they’ve got an idea about sex already. And these books introduce it in a consensual, loving, married environment.

April 22, 2009 at 6:55 pm
(52) no telling says:

I am 11 and all the kids in my call are CRAZY about the series. i think the book is for all ages that can understand the book.

April 24, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(53) lara is a big fan says:

I LOVE TWILIGHT!!! It is my favorite book and all the girls are crazy about it. Some Of the boys in my year like the books and loads have seen the film and liked it. We are all 12/13. My brother was nine when he read twilight and liked it. He then read half of new moon and got a bit bored. I think they were a bit mature for him. However that doesn’t count for everyone who is below 11.

May 1, 2009 at 8:44 pm
(54) Kaitlyn says:

i’m 15 and i’ve read all 4 books multiple times. personally, i love the series, and this was the first full series i’ve actually read. My little sister is 10 and she is reading the books, and my little cousin is 9 and she just finished reading them. I would recommend them to my friends who haven’t read them, but again, it depends on what kind of books they like to read. I don’t think that i would recommend the books to kids under 12 though, because of some of the scenes in the fourth book.

May 4, 2009 at 11:15 am
(55) emmy says:

im 11 and ive read the whole seriesand my little sisters have read at least twilight but the youngest one in my family(7) has read twilight new moon and is on eclipse

May 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(56) Bailey says:

Well i am 12 and i think the series is great and i would totally recromend it! =)

July 6, 2009 at 11:06 pm
(57) deen6 says:

Well… I am 10 years old going on 11 in a month. And i dont think they are unnipropriate unless your not very egicated in sex ed. The books are very well written. And dont be looking for comedy in these books because their the kind of seriouse romantic tipe of things. LOVE THE BOOKS THOUGH!!! PLEASE STEPH KEEP WRITING!!!! =)

August 16, 2009 at 9:03 am
(58) Sapphire says:

My daughter is 11 going on 12 she does really get bothered bye breaking dawn and others but she pretty mature so i whould say 11 and up or how mature you are.sincerly sapphire pround mother ps i read them to i think they are fine

August 28, 2009 at 11:01 am
(59) Sabrina says:

It is frightening that some mothers on here will say that they like the books because of the ‘romance’ and allow younger daughters to read them when Bella is continually trying to seduce Edward (unbuttons her shirt, etc.). I suppose they want to teach their preteens that the way to feel desired and loved is if they can get some guy to give into their seduction, and that their worth comes from this. Also, how can parents not be concerned that even though Edward and Bella marry, they are TEENS. And they become parents when they are TEENS. My husband bought his 12 year old daughter the series when she asked for it without looking into the content because he was just happy she took interest in reading something. As an avid reader myself, I decided to look at the books, and was alarmed that a 12 year old was reading detailed description of Bella putting on her black lingerie and having sex with her new teen husband. And you mothers out there are O.K. with this ??

August 29, 2009 at 2:45 am
(60) Kari says:

Well, I just found out that my 12 yr old step-daughter has read the first 3 books at her mom’s and I was NOT happy! I’m the full-time mom, have been since she was 4, she visits her mom for half the summer. So I came on here to read reviews. I guess I’m just going to have to read part of them myself, but that last comment was a bit more revealing and sounds more along the same lines as my heart. We have to stop just “eating” everything society feeds to us and start caring about what is influencing our kids. It’s taken way too lightly since “everyone else is doing it”. Why don’t we encourage our kids to read classics more, some really good literature? There are MANY comments on how awesome the books are, some who’ve read the series THREE times, etc. Anything that addictive isn’t good! Like the marshmallow thing! What if our kids (and we adults) could become addicted to God’s WORD (so we can know Him)? We should be encouraging our teens to read biographies on great historical figures and the new book written by two teen boys who want to rebel against “teen” rebellion called Do Hard Things. We have such low expectations for teens in this society, and we wonder why things are so messed up.

August 29, 2009 at 9:27 am
(61) Kate says:

I am 11 years old I have read book 1 and 2 but my father and mother don’t know if they like me reading them – my mother and father are reading them to see if they are ok about me reading them but i am really scared about what they are gonna say – hence the fact that it includes alot of snoggging . Please help me some one i don’t know what they are gonna say

August 29, 2009 at 9:31 am
(62) Gaby says:

I am 12 but i think that the books are great my Mum says she dosent mind me reading them as long as I dont let it get to my head
: )

August 30, 2009 at 7:36 am
(63) Naomi and Jess says:

The fourth book is not a glorification of sex and pregnancy, it is a book about a MARRIED COUPLE who have a child, nearly dying in the process.
There is nothing wrong with children in secdondary school (high school) reading the Twilight series, as long as they are mature enough to read about kissing, and some vague references to sex which do not describe, in any detail, what they actually do.
If you are willing to let your children read Harry Potter, and see the films, which are the same rating as the currently released Twilight flims, then you really shouldn’t have a problem with letting them read the Twilight series, or watch the films.
It is a really good book and it’s not for any specific age my; Dad is reading it and says he likes it.
If you strip the story down to the basic plotline, it is just another Romeo and Juliet love story: two people of different families (species) fall in love.
It just depends on the maturity of the reader.
Just because it’s about vampires doesn’t mean that it’s scary or gory, it’s just another love story.
We’re mature enough to think this, and we’re 15 and 12.

September 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm
(64) Lee says:

Just because 12yr olds are reading it does not mean they should be. It is for older kids. High School age a least.

September 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(65) Emery says:

Look im ten years old and i have read all of the books.Its not all about sex and preagnency.Its really about the bond of love that Bella and Edward share.

I understand that it has some romance scenes but it doesnt go in to detail.I was a bit upset with Breaking Dawn because it didnt really fell like it was really apart of the Twilight Saga.What im tring to say is if you dont want your kids to read them look over them yourself so it doesnt seem like your being completly unfair!!!

My two older sisters read the books before and said that they were more then fantastic.And to all you people who are saying things like Edward has complete control hes always ordering Bella around.WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!Hes not in control they both are!!!!HELLO!!!!!!!I mean seriously he didnt want to have sex Bella did!!!He denied her over and over and over again so please save it!!!!!!

Thats what i have to say about this talented author and her perfect books!!!!!!

November 16, 2009 at 2:52 pm
(66) Nouara says:

I’m 11 and I’ve read the books. All my year 7 form have read new moon AND twilight, so I don’t think it’s that indecent? I’m watching the movie right now, I quite like fighting movies so I don’t really give a damn. My mum doesn’t mind- I’ve watched Far worse movies than that.

November 20, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(67) caroline says:

im 9 and i read all 4 books which is not all about sex and pregnancy it is about forbidden love by a human and a vampire

November 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(68) AMc says:

I have read all of them and believe these books are not for preteens but more for older teens. Having read all of them and being an educator, I believe there are topics too mature for younger children to handle.

November 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm
(69) glee says:

Don’t you think it’s ironic that all these young kids who claim to have read these fairly thick novels, have atrocious SPELLING!!!!

November 26, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(70) Car says:

i am 12 and i think the first 3 are ok for younger ages but the 4th and final book are definitely for older ages or more mature people. the 4th book is not for 9, 10, and 11 year old’s but if the child is very mature and the parent approves of it, then the child should be ok with it. The parent of the child should read the 4th book before letting their child read it because it has some mature content.

November 27, 2009 at 3:21 am
(71) Mander says:

Well,My daughter is ten,and has read all of Stephs books!She is somewhat drawn to the YAs,like Exchange by Paul Magrs,but i dont know about her reading these,Some of the pages are quite,Adult themed in refrences.

December 18, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(72) allyson says:

i am 10 years old.im in the top classes and everybody loves the twilight series.i know since we are advanced we can under stand the more easily.my friend (which is a guy)loves the seris. just because the last book has sex in it dosent mean we aren’t muture enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 26, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(73) Vampirelover says:

Im from Ireland and as part of our school we have to study a play from shakespeare the book my class have to study is ‘Romeo and Juliet’ which contains alot of love and bits of sex but people dont have a problem with it but yet people dont want there kids readin a harmless vampire book!look if you have a problem with the ‘sex’ bits your kids will have to learn about it eventually and the chances are they already have. . .All im sayin is i dont think you should have a problem with it it deals with a very teenager problem which is unrequited love.As for age maybe 10 and up and for the last book 12 might be better.And I have one question for you does your child listen to lady gaga?if so trust me you dont have to worry about the twilight saga

December 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm
(74) krissie says:

im 13 n i honestly think that they r sutible 4 ages 12 n over. the books contain no graphic sex n the storys r beautiful n maks u believe in true love which is a gud lesson 2 teach. n it only contains a few mentions of sex

December 30, 2009 at 6:44 am
(75) TWILIGHTLOVER says:

i am 12 and i loved the whole series !!!
I recemmend these books to 12yrs and over because my cousin was 9 when she read them and she said they were quite werid!! But i told her to try again once she was a bit older , i loved the book because it explained how bella was feeling about edward and how she suffers when he leaves (in new moon)

January 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(76) Book Lover says:

I ready the book when I was 10 so I would recommend it for mature kids. I was really good but the way Stephenie Meyer portrays young woman is very sexist. Otherwise, great book. P.S. Check out the ‘Vampire Diaries’ if you like the series.

January 4, 2010 at 4:00 am
(77) Wendy says:

My daughter is 12 and is in love with the Twilight series. My husband’s secretary is also an eight grade English teacher and she recommended the series for my daughter. I found the first three books–Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse–to be appropriate for my daughter, but she will have to wait to read Breaking Dawn. I told her I would have to read it first to see if it was appropriate for her, but it wasn’t. There is sexual content and violent content. I wish the author had made it so that the last book would also be appropriate for my daughter’s age because she is so disappointed that she has to wait to read it, but she will respect my wishes.

January 4, 2010 at 4:08 am
(78) Wendy says:

I’m noticing that parents think that the books aren’t appropriate for tweens, but the tweens think they are perfectly appropriate. I am a parent so I side with the other parents. The earlier books are okay for tweens, but the fourth definitely isn’t. If parents are letting their kids read these then they probably haven’t read them themselves. I don’t let my daughter read a more mature book unless I have read it first. Just because you can read the words doesn’t mean it is appropriate.

January 8, 2010 at 8:55 am
(79) Brittany says:

My 12-year old and I have read all of the books and have seen the movies and I personally think they’re totally fine for a middle schooler.

January 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(80) Smash says:

Hi, I’m 11 years old and I read the books at 10, in year 5. Obviously I read the books before I saw the movie, as the books are DEFINITELY better. My 11 year old friend at the time recommended the series, and now I’m hooked. I assure you, I understand every aspect of the book and adore it, infact I think you could call it an unhealthy obsession…
It doesn’t matter what your age, it’s your reading age that counts. In primary school, the highest reading age awarded is 13+, so as long as you’re hypothetical age is over 11, you would probably understand the book.
Don’t be put off by people saying you are too young to read the book. In year 5 I read Animal Farm and The Diary of Anne Frank, and in year 6 I read The Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and The Diary of Adrian Mole. If you feel that you want to read the book, do.

~Smash xxx

January 13, 2010 at 6:25 pm
(81) Carlee says:

The Twilight series is one the best series i have read.I started the series when i was 11 and i am now 12.I finishd the first book in less than 24 hours.I was addicted to the book BAD!A lot of my classmates have read twilight and have gone back for the rest.i would say this book is ok for 5th grade and up.The last book Breaking Dawn is my favorite book. My next fav would be eclipse then new moon then twilight.Stephenie Meyer saved the best for last!

January 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm
(82) twilight lover says:

hi im a twilight fan. i belive the parents should read the book first then ask your kids will you be scared at this part? or are you mature enough? i read the book and thought books 1-3 are good for 10+ but the 4th book they at least have to be maybe 14+ but thats what i think!

January 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm
(83) A person says:

i think that the twilight series is for ages 12 and up. it is for the matureer 12s and up

January 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm
(84) Kenzie says:

Hey i can read them i am on the 3rd book and i am reading it to my mom

January 25, 2010 at 8:40 pm
(85) Brenda says:

I have read the twilight series more then 5 times each,and i just love it,i am 15 years old.
& i think that twilight is for high school kids,
and older.

February 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm
(86) ErIanNa says:

i have read the series myself and could comprehend it just fine and i am 15 however my 9 year old cousin has been reading twilight for the past month and doesn’t understand half the words i believe u should have been at least 15 or a very enhanced 14 year old reader.i found parts in breaking dawn to be very uncomfortable so at least 16-18 to read the 4th book

February 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm
(87) megan says:

i am 12 and i have read the series,however i am in jr.high and read at a high school level i believe if u are going to read i 12 and up because words are more enhanced then most vampire books i have read for 11 and under i would recommend the cirque du freak series by darren shan,the twilight saga i believe can be for younger audiences with enhanced vocabularies.

February 7, 2010 at 10:19 am
(88) z says:

im 10 and will be turning 11 soon and my mom is going to let me read them. i saw twilight and new moon and i had no problem with them.

February 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(89) Katie Campbell says:

i am a 12 year old and i year all 4 books when i was 11. i would not recommend the last book to people that do not awkward situations like sex or any thing along that line. but they are great books, i know many people that love the books adults a kids my age.

February 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(90) Lauren says:

I am the mother of a 8 (soon to be none year old) whose friend has claimed to read it, so she did too. I didn’t know much about the series, so I read it myself to see what it was all about. I absolutley loved the whole series, but it definatley something that should be read by a young adult. The love story between Bella and Edward was the best I’ve read in a long time, but there are many situations in the book that would fly right over my daughters head. Sometimes, I think kids shoud be kids and reading kid things. As I said to her, there will be plenty of time to read it when she’s older and can truly appreciate the book.
I was a little disappointed in the final book, but enjoyed it. I was sorry for the series to end. The movie I thought did the book no justice and hated the actors who played Bella and especially Edward.

February 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm
(91) Megs says:

I read them all and i’m 11. I think this book is for teens/pre-teens too. I loved the books. I wish the series never had to end because I spend half my day reading the books everyday.

February 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(92) helen says:

My little girl is 9 and I’m 37 and we both love the books and love the film. My daughter says about the books ” they are very exciting and fun to read “.

February 21, 2010 at 11:20 am
(93) jess says:

I’m 10 and I’ve read all of them. Though i wouldn’t recoment Breaking dawn for all has it desusses sex. But for the rest have at them!

February 26, 2010 at 11:18 pm
(94) meranda says:

I’m 11 and i read the whole twilight series in a month.I absolutely loved it!!Especially Breaking dawn!

February 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm
(95) Becky says:

I read them all within six weeks; they are amazing books and I would really reccomend them to ages of quite mature eleven year olds up to any age really. There are a few scenes implying sex, but they do not go into detail, and goes straight onto the next morning. I was ten when I read them, but I was extremely mature for my age.

April 16, 2010 at 3:26 am
(96) ................ says:

they are awsome
for anyone who doesnt mind love stories
i think its appropriate for 10+ the first 2 books then probbly 12+ the next 2

April 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm
(97) dde says:

My daughter is 10 yeas old and she loves the books.Of course I bought a book too, because if theres bad parts I tell her not to read them.

April 21, 2010 at 12:33 am
(98) Kathy says:

My 13-year-old and I read the Twilight Series together.
I am glad I did. She loved the books, but there are a lot of issues that need to be discussed with teen girls. Think about it…wanting to die at 16 for a boy, lose her family, be suicidal just to see a boyfriend who rejected her? These all added excitement to the books, and they provide great topics of discussion. It isn’t the type of series I would just hand a young girl without some discussions. And we had some really great talks we may never have had!

May 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm
(99) Leah says:

I AM 10 and read the whole series

AND AM OBSESSED

May 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(100) leah says:

RACHAEL YOUR RIGHT

I HAVE BOUGHT AND READ THE WHOLE SERIES AND LOVEEEEEEEEE IT AM STUPIDLY OBSESSED WITH IT AND GAVE UP READING OTHER BOOKS

AND IM 10

June 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm
(101) Brittany says:

June 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(102) Brittany says:

I am 10 years old and have read the first 2 books.I LOVE them and wish to continue but my mom is going to read the 3 one first and see if it is too sexual.My opinion is that kids 12+ should read them.But 1 and 2 are ok and i think 10+ can read them..What do you think? AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

June 18, 2010 at 9:37 pm
(103) ww says:

Interesting that all these 12 year olds think a parent who is concerned about the appropriateness of the Twilight books would care about your input. My advice, if you are concerned, read the books. Don’t just take someone else’s opinion of what if appropriate for YOUR child.

June 21, 2010 at 12:15 am
(104) annonymus says:

My 8 yr old loves the books and my 11 yr old loves the books and the movies i say its for kids teens and adults 8 and up but there are some things in breaking dawn that are definataly iffy for 8, 9 and 10 yr olds so u should talk to them about the things and definataly read it before letting 13 and unders read it.

July 14, 2010 at 6:02 am
(105) em says:

My daughter has just turned 11 and was given books 1,2 and 3. I am not sure about whether she is old enough. Have read the very diverse comments from varying ages and have decided to skim read book one today whilst she is at school. Will do the same with the others, whilst 11 year olds know about sex, they will not understand – or should not – know of the ‘tensions’ and feelings of the subject. I am fairly open minded but do not think young, innocent children should read things that may open their mind before they are mature enough to understand.
Very difficult as the more you stop them from doing/reading things the more inquisitve they are…..

November 27, 2010 at 11:21 am
(106) ann-sophie says:

i am 11 and i have read all the twilight saga and love them but only the 1st and 2nd ones (twilight and new moon) are suitable for 10 and 11 but the 3rd and 4th r not!!”

December 24, 2010 at 6:47 am
(107) dianne cariaga says:

well we were in fourth grade when we started reading the twilight saga books but it has some scenes (you may say) that are not applicable for children under 12. anyways i’v read each book for 2 days and a night

February 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(108) Tilly says:

I let my 9 year old daughter read the first three (after I read them) she really enjoyed them and I let her watch the movie. Once she was ten I let her read the last book (with me) and because she is incredibly mature and I know she won’t repeat things i soon let her read them by herself. The thing is she is nearly 11 and wants to watch glee which her friends all watch (they’re 11 too) and that’s a hard decision! I’m just saying but I wouldn’t let her watch vampire diaries even after she read the book because of scary content so this doesn’t apply in all cases

June 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(109) Christi says:

I read the series before I allowed my 12 year old daughter to read them.I personally find the series age appropriate for junior high girls.I enjoyed the fact that the series is not sexually explicit in any way and also it promotes marriage before sex.And the Main Character Edward is the one that wants to wait and do things the right way.So no I do not see any problem allowing Junior High girls age 11 and up to read and some parents depending on the maturity of their child may allow them to read it even sooner.

July 1, 2011 at 7:01 am
(110) clem says:

I am 10 and I absouloutly LOVE them I think if you are appropriate enough you can read them at 10 years old

July 7, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(111) Vivian says:

I’m twelve and I don’t really like the books. I hated them in fact (I wanted to read about REAL horror vampires) but I think most girls from ages 13-16 like the books. Well, a majority of them do. Although some adults enjoy the books as well. Overall, I believe ages (girls most often) 13-16 read the books.

August 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm
(112) Mimi says:

I’m 12 and love the books they are okay for 12 year olds as long as they are old enough to understand it all and mature enough I would recommend them!

August 23, 2011 at 12:51 am
(113) Emily says:

I’m 12 and I have read the first three books, but my mom won’t let me read the fourth. It’s really bumming me out knowing that 9 and 10 year olds have read the whole series, anand I can’t. I’m trying to explian to my mom that it’s not that bad and I’m mature enough to read the fourth book, but she is standing her ground. I’m not giving up! And good luck to any other 12 year old who is going through the same issue

September 30, 2011 at 3:09 am
(114) cj says:

hey im 11 and yes there is unapropiete stuff but it depends on how muture you are ia m way more mature then the rest of my class

October 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(115) lizette cullen says:

I read the series when i was 11 i think it is tottaly appropriate even Breaking Dawn.im 15 now and im still obsessed with it i have read each twilight book 30 times. Breaking Dawn is not descriptive and i think its horriable that people r not letting their kids read the book. It is beautifully written and everyone in the book is amazing. Even my mother(42) and sister(19) loves the movies and i even got my 22 year old sister to read the books. These books r amazing. But warning there is a danger that ur child may become obsessed like i did. So just b careful

November 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(116) Dakota says:

I’m a 12 year old girl and I read the first book. It was not inappropriate at all, it only talked about love. Although, there was maybe one or two words that are a bit, mmm… advanced you could say. I would recommend it if you’re a bit more mature than other 12 year olds. My friend hasn’t read them, but a friend of her mom offered to let her borrow them when she was a bit older. (her family is quite strict and she is a year younger than me though) This worried me a bit, (i’m not sure which book she was talking about though) and I’m now not sure if I should read the second. I know the fourth one includes some adult topics, which I probably wouldn’t be comfortable reading until I am a little older. Literally, all I’d like to know is if the second book is appropriate for me to read. I’m 13 in about 5 months and I’m quite mature.

November 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm
(117) Phioniza says:

a kindergartener in my schools watchs twilight movies!!!! All age groups can enjoy it.

November 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm
(118) Anonymous says:

I’m 12 and have read all 4 books. I think it is okay if you are mature =)

November 10, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(119) Mom of 3 girls says:

My 11 year old has read up to Breaking Dawn. The first three books in the series are relatively innocent. Nothing worse than what they watch on the Disney channel. She loved the series and has read Twilight at least twice. She is in the 6th grade and is easily reading on a high school level. I read the series before my daughters. I loved it. My 13 year old read the first one and maybe the second one but did not enjoy it as much as my 11 year old. We were both disappointed when we watched the movies together, we just fast forward through any parts we found inappropriate. The books are much better than the movie

November 25, 2011 at 7:39 am
(120) shikha says:

my cousins aged 12 and 14 respectively reads those books and i think children above 11 could read it because the film “twilight” sagas are very interesting as they talk about ‘vampires’ and their life.

November 25, 2011 at 8:00 am
(121) shikha says:

2)Hi! my name is Shikha and im 11 yrs old. I adore watching ‘twilight’ and i had watched the film many times. I find it very interesting and freakly i tell u that i like the vampires in ‘twilight’. And i read other books like vampire Diaries and other vampire stories. I like reading these books and especially now, during the school holidays, when im idle at home.

November 29, 2011 at 4:43 pm
(122) Kiana says:

I’m 11 am I would say I am obsessed with the twilight saga. It’s fairly appropriate for children, mostly ages 11 or over I would say. I’d recommend the books to children above the age of 10 (so 11 and over). Adults would like it to

February 14, 2012 at 11:03 am
(123) Claire says:

I’ve read the first book and I’m hooked even though I’m only 11 but there really good and don’t talk about sex at all! My mum isn’t to sure on them but to me they are the best books I’ve ever read!!

March 17, 2012 at 3:05 am
(124) dd says:

I DONT think this is a ok b,series for kids under the age 12. Its not that the kids are unable to read at the reading level its just they dont have the maturity for it. Yes they are all fantastic books but they were not writen for kids

March 17, 2012 at 3:14 am
(125) kittie says:

Hey all you ten and eleven year olds i was eleven once too. I know how it feels to not be able to do something but hang in there your parents set thease rules for a reason. Respect their judgment and if you dont think somethings fair talk to them dont go off and read them behind their backs. They make rules to protect you because they love you

~someone who whished she found this out sooner

March 17, 2012 at 3:17 am
(126) delanie says:

I must say that i wish parents would consiter what they let their yong kids read.

April 8, 2012 at 9:49 am
(127) Bella says:

I read it when was 9 I understood it all :) so maybe your child is ready to read something you may consider to be inappropriate. Well you never know :)

April 12, 2012 at 7:35 am
(128) hanna says:

Hi! my name is Hanna & i have read the books of the twilight sagas and i found that very cool and interesting to read. If U like vamp books so i`ll give u some other books you might like: 1) the night world series
2) blue blood by melissa de la
cruz
3) fallen
4) the host- stephanie meyer
5) the last vampire
6) cirque du freak

June 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm
(129) Ann says:

I’m 10 and I love it

June 14, 2012 at 10:43 am
(130) Valentina says:

i am 9 and since 7 years old i read the series i am a fan to but i think twilight should never end i am 9 today and im reading for the 4th time eclipse

July 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm
(131) Kris says:

So for all of you that understand the books, I get it. BUT I also have not let my 12 year old READ them. We have watched all the movies TOGETHER and discuss what we have seen. I have read all the books and decided that she could wait until she is older. She agreed once I told her how detailed it became.
I read the same books as she does and we discuss them. All parents should do the same. Take the time and read the books first before allowing your daughter/son to read it. You know them best.
The 4th book is descriptive…..

February 18, 2014 at 6:42 am
(132) Taniya Orton says:

M 15 yrs old n i hv da whole twilight saga set of novels at home. I hv read many young n new adult novels. Reading is my 1st love….