One of the joys of being a grandparent, I've found, is the opportunity to share favorite picture books from my childhood and my children's childhoods with my grandchildren. Happily, if you'd like to do the same thing, there are a lot of excellent classic children's picture books for you to choose from. Some of our family favorites include:
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
(Cover art courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)