The Bottom Line
In his picture book Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland, Tomie dePaola combines captivating illustrations with the engaging story of a boy named Patrick, who grew up to become St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. If your children are curious about the Patrick in St. Patrick's Day, this brief picture book biography for younger children provides information about the saint and the legends that surrounded him.
- Tomie dePaola's folkart-style illustrations
- Short, well written biography
- Section on legends about St. Patrick
- The author packs a lot of information about Saint Patrick in his brief biography.
- In addition to the main story of Patrick's life, there are five legends about St. Patrick.
- The legends include "Saint Patrick and the Snakes" and "St. Patrick and the Shamrock."
- Tomie dePaola's use of borders, rich colors, and a folkart-style of painting enhance the book.
- The ISBN number is 0823410773, and the publisher is Holiday House.
- Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland is a paperback book.
Guide Review - Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland
If you are like me, you know St. Patrick as the patron saint of Ireland, and you know the legend of St. Patrick and the snakes, but little more. You and your child will enjoy learning more as you share Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola. While the book is geared toward ages 4-8, older children will find it intriguing also. Patrick led an interesting life and his adventures, as well as his faith, are fittingly presented in both text and illustrations. It's an added bonus to find, at the end of the book, brief illustrated accounts of five legends associated with Patrick. Best of all are dePaola's wonderful illustrations, which emphasize the impact of Patrick's faith in, and love of, God.