Series Title: Maximum Ride Series
Author: James Patterson
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Length of Books: 256-440 pages
Recommended for: Ages 12-18; good books for reluctant readers; entertaining for boys and girls; also popular with adults and James Patterson fans.
Maximum Ride Series Overview:
This fantasy series for young adults is the story of Maximum Ride (Max) and her “Flock” of friends who were genetically created in a lab called the “School” by evil scientists dubbed "White Coats" by the teens). Max and her five friends- Iggy, Gasman, Angel, Nudge, and Fang are 98% human and 2% bird, and they use their enhanced abilities to flee the abuse and torture inflicted by the White Coats. With the help of one scientist of questioning loyalties named Jeb, the friends escape to the mountains where they train to fight and learn how to use their special abilities. When one of the Flock disappears, Max spearheads a rescue mission that takes them into New York.
The series is divided into two parts: the first three books is called “The Fugitives” and follows the teens as they grow into their roles as agents of good while battling evil scientists and mutant wolves called Erasers. The second part of the series, books four through seven, is called “The Protectors” and follows the adventures of the teens as they help to fight issues such as global warming and environmental pollution. In Nevermore, the eight and final book in the series, a lethal virus called H8H is released by an evil nemesis to kill off the human population and only the Flock is immune to it. An epic battle for humanity will determine the fate of the world and deliver a shocking resolution. Well known author James Patterson creates a fast paced science fiction fantasy world where mutant teenagers find strength in being a family while helping to eliminate the world from potential evil. Young readers love the intense action, capricious love triangles and cliff hanger endings that keep all the characters in constant motion.
Content Warning: This book series contains large doses of action and violence including bloody sky fights, car chases, guns, explosives, broken bones, and some death.
The series debuted on the New York Times bestsellers list for 12 weeks in a row. The books in the series also appear on the American Library Association’s yearly Teens’ Top Ten reading list.
Available Formats: Hardcover, paperback, audiobook on CD, audio for download, eBook for various eReaders, and manga.
Categories: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, teen books, young adult (YA) Fiction
Books in the Maximum Ride Series:
- The Angel Experiment (Book 1, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 440 pages (Turtleback, 2006. ISBN: 9781417750290) Compare prices.
- School’s Out Forever (Book 2, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 412 pages (Grand Central, 2007. ISBN: 9780446618892) Compare prices.
- Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Book 3, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 405 pages (Turtleback, 2008. ISBN: 9781417814237) Compare prices.
- The Final Warning (Book 4, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 256 pages (Little, Brown, 2008. ISBN: 9780316002875) Compare prices.
- Max (Book 5, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 287 pages (Grand Central, 2009. ISBN: 9780446194068) Compare prices.
- Fang (Book 6, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 385 pages (Little, Brown, 2010. ISBN: 9780316071062) Compare prices.
- Angel (Book 7, Maximum Ride) Paperback, 366 pages (Little, Brown, 2011. ISBN: 9780316122016) Compare prices.
- Nevermore (Book 8, Maximum Ride) Hardcover, 384 pages (Little, Brown, 2012 ISBN: 9780316101844) Compare prices.
The Maximum Ride series volumes 1-3 are available in box set of paperback editions (Little, Brown, 2010. ISBN: 9780316128254) Compare prices.
Maximum Ride Manga Editions> For fans of graphic novels and manga, the Maximum Ride series volumes 1-5 are available as of August 2012, with volumes 6-10 coming soon.
- Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 Paperback, 256 pages (Yen Press, 2009. ISBN: 9780759529519) Compare prices.
- Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 2 Paperback, 256 pages (Yen Press, 2009. ISBN: 9780759529687) Compare prices.
- Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 3 Paperback, 240 pages (Yen Press, 2010. ISBN: 9780759529694) Compare prices.
- Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 4 Paperback, 224 pages (Yen Press, 2011. ISBN: 9780759529700) Compare prices.
- Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 5 Paperback, 240 pages (Yen Press, 2011. ISBN: 9780759529717) Compare prices.