Children's Books From Picture Books to Chapter Books and More
Raising A Reader
Learn about some of the things you can do to encourage a love of books and reading and about some of the books and online resources available to assist you.
- 10 Resolutions for Parents
- The Read-Aloud Handbook
- The New York Times Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children
- Books to Grow With
Fairy Tales, Folktales, and Fables
Fairy tales, folktales, and fables have been popular for centuries. Here you will find some excellent online resources, as well as some recommended children's books.
- Cinderella: Online Resources
- Grimm's Fairy Tales and Other Versions
- L. Frank Baum and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Hans Christian Andersen and his Fairy Tales
- The Wit and Wisdom of Aesop's Fables
A good picture book combines words and pictures to tell a story that will engage a child's interest. Most adults can still tell you their favorite childhood picture book. Here is an overview of some special picture books and the publishers who publish them, information about the top award in the U.S. for picture book illustration and some recommended children's picture books.
- The Randolph Caldecott Medal and the Current and Recent Winners
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Maine Caldecott Winners by Robert McCloskey
- Little Golden Books
- Candlewick Press Children's Picture Book Publisher
Recommended Authors and Illustrators
You will recognize the names of a number of these talented authors and illustrators. Many of them have been writing and/or illustrating books for several generations. Do you recognize any authors or illustrators whose books you read as a child and your own children have also enjoyed them? You will also find the names of some new authors and illustrators that I hope to see creating children's books for years to come.
- Spotlight on Award-Winning Author Cynthia Rylant
- Hooray for Dr. Seuss
- The Artistry and Influence of Maurice Sendak
- All About the Berenstain Bears and Their Creators