About Nancy J. Snyder
As a young girl, Nancy rode her bike to the Carnegie Public Library located in her small hometown in Ohio. Since her childhood, public libraries, books, and reading have been a part of her family and professional life. As a mother, teacher, storyteller, and librarian, Nancy has strived to connect and share books with young people from birth through young adults. For ten years, Nancy has facilitated Kid Lit for Adults, a monthly informal book discussion of quality children’s literature.
Nancy earned a Bachelor of Arts from Bowling Green State University, Masters in Education from Central State University, and a Masters in Library and Informational Studies from University of North Caroline, Greensboro.
Nancy is currently the Evergreen and Maya Angelou Branch Manager of the Wichita Public Library in Kansas. Other positions have included: Children's Manager of Morrison Regional Library of Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, NC; Youth Specialist at Steele Creek and South County Regional Branches of Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, NC; Youth Specialist at Dixon-Homestead Public Library, Emerson Public Library, and Haworth Public Library in New Jersey; Teacher of children with special needs for Edmond Public Schools in Oklahoma.
- Newbery Committee Member 2010-11
- ALSC Public Awareness Committee 2007-09
- Reader’s Club Reviewer Spotlight 2008
- Nina Lyon Spirit Award 2006
- Project Coordinator County-wide Library Campaign 2005-06
- Caldecott Committee Member 2003-04
- Kid Lit for Adults facilitator 2003-present
- Direcor’s Award Recipient @ PLCMC 2001
- Book Hive reviewer 2000-2009
- American Library Association
- Association for Library Services to Children
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Kansas Library Association
- Wichita Area Library Association
- United States Board on Books for Young People
- Freedom to Read Foundation