Jean Hatfield has had a life-long love of reading and books and a particular interest in children’s books and young adult books. In both her personal and professional life, books and stories have always been important. Hatfield is a charter member of the River and Prairie Storyweavers and has more than 30 years’ experience as a librarian.
Jean Hatfield earned a B.S. in Education from Pittsburg State University and a Master of Arts in Library Science from the University of Denver.
Jean Hatfield is currently serving as the Alford Regional Branch Manager, Wichita Public Library (KS), for which she also serves as the Youth Materials Selector. See 2008 Favorites
for some of her recommendations.
Hatfield’s other positions have included Youth and Outreach Manager and Youth Services Coordinator at Johnson County Library (KS); Youth Services Coordinator at St. Joseph Public Library (MO); and Elementary School Librarian for Leavenworth USD 453 (KS).
- Winner, Library Personnel Award – Kansas Library Association, 2009
- Chair, Pura Belpré Award Committee, 2007-2008
- Member, Newbery Award Committee, 2006-2007
- Recipient, Bechtel Fellowship, ALSC, 2004
- President, Mountain Plains Library Association, 2002-03
- Judge, Audie Awards, Audiobook Publishers Association, 2000 - present
- American Library Association
- Association for Library Services to Children
- Public Library Association
- Mountain Plains Library Association
- Kansas Library Association
- REFORMA: National Assoc. to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking, Heartland Chapter, (co-founder)