Children's Books and Books for Teens
By Elizabeth Kennedy, About.com Guide
- Recommended Fiction for 9-12 Year Olds
- Recommended Nonfiction for 9-12 Year Olds
- Books and Tips for Parents
- Resources for Reluctant Readers
Recommended Fiction for 9-12 Year Olds
These books include novels, picture books, and chapter books that appeal to middle grade readers. They include fiction and nonfiction and cover a variety of topics and genres.
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret
- Historical Fiction for Middle Grade Readers
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
- The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Books
- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda
- Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
- Novels by Sharon Creech
- The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- Editions of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit Children for Tweens and Teens
Recommended Nonfiction for 9-12 Year Olds
These books include history, science, language, and more.
- The Scientists in the Field Series
- The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look At Abraham and Mary
- Top Cookbooks for Kids
- Crafts Books for Kids
- Hurricanes: Earth's Mightiest Storms
- African American Freedom Fighters
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make A Difference!
- September 11, 2001: Attack on New York City
- Science Fair Handbook
Books and Tips for Parents
Here are some books and tips to help you raise a reader, who is enthusiastic about books. Learn about the importance of reading aloud to your child at every age, the value of audiobooks, and resources for locating exceptional books for elementary and middle school students.
- The Read-Aloud Handbook
- The John Newbery Medal
- The International Children's Digital Library
- Encourage Summer Reading Fun
- In Praise of Audiobooks
Resources for Reluctant Readers
Is your child a reluctant reader? Some children are not that interested in reading and need help in finding reading material that will arouse their interest. Others read below grade level and consider the books they can read to be "babyish." Here you will find tips on encouraging your child to read and information on some good hi/lo books. The books are at the reader's interest level (hi stands for high interest) but written at a lower reading level (lo stands for low readability) to encourage reading.
- Resources for Reluctant Readers
- Top 10 Hi/Lo Booklists for Reluctant Readers
- How To Encourage Your Child to Read
- How to Use TV, Video and Movies to Promote Reading
The Harry Potter series by J.k. Rowling continues to be wildly popular and to be challenged by those who think it promotes witchcraft. Learn all about the series, the censorship battles, and the last book.
- The Harry Potter Series: Fast Facts and Resources
- The Harry Potter Controversy
- Harry Potter Hogwarts School Reference Books
- What Is Pottermore by J.K. Rowling?
- Top 10 Harry Potter Books and Other Gifts for the Ultimate Fan
- The Pottersaurus: 1,500 Words Harry Potter Readers Need to Know
Popular Middle Grade Authors
Some of these authors have remained popular for a number of years. Others are rising stars. Their writing includes fantasy, historical fiction, contemporary fiction, and humor.
- Mildred Wirt Benson, aka Carolyn Keene, Writer for First Nancy Drew Books
- Spotlight on Beverly Cleary
- The Enduring Roald Dahl
- Astrid Lindgren: The Creator of Pippi Longstocking
- Canadian Author Jean Little
- Author Lois Lowry
- Award-Winning Author Cynthia Rylant
- Who Is Lemony Snicket?
- An Interview With Jane Yolen
- British Author Jacqueline Wilson
The Hunger Games
Here you'll find an overview of the Hunger Games trilogy, book reviews of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, as well as The Hunger Games Tribute Guide. Learn how others feel about The Hunger Games and share your opinion.
- The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: An Overview
- Book Review: The Hunger Games (Book 1)
- Book Review: Catching Fire (Book 2)
- Book Review: Mockingjay (Book 3)
- Readers Respond: What do you think of The Hunger Games book?
- Readers Respond: How Does The Hunger Games Movie Compare With the Book?
- Book Review: The Hunger Games Tribute Guide (Movie Tie-In Book)
Young Adult Books and Information
Young adult books (YA books) are generally written for kids or teens somewhere between the ages of 12 and 18 and are often referred to as books for teens. As your tweens and middle school students begin to select YA books, they may need your help in finding appropriate books.
- Young Adult Books and YALSA
- Teen Reading: Trends and Resources - An Interview with the President of YALSA
- Top Steampunk Books for Teens
- Top Teen Nonfiction Books of the Year