The Spiderwick Chronicles SeriesAccording to a letter from co-author Holly Black that appears at the beginning of each of The Spiderwick Chronicles series, it all started when she and Tony DiTerlizzi were at a bookstore book signing and were given a letter that had been left for them. The letter was from the Grace children, and it mentioned a book that “tells people how to identify faeries and how to protect themselves.” The letter went on to say, “We just want people to know about this. The stuff that has happened to us could happen to anyone.” A few days later, according to Black, she and DiTerlizzi met the Grace children, and the story the children told them became The Spiderwick Chronicles.
After their parents’ divorce, the Grace children and their mother move into the ramshackle Victorian home previously occupied by their great-aunt Lucinda. The three children, thirteen-year-old Mallory and her nine-year-old twin brothers, Jared and Simon, are still adjusting to their parents’ divorce and are not happy with their new home. While Mallory has her fencing to keep her occupied and Simon his menagerie of animals to care for, Jared is angry and at loose ends.
While Book 1 is quite mild and provides a basic introduction to the human characters and the threat from the fantastical creatures, the action and suspense is ratcheted up in the remaining books. The Grace children come in conflict with goblins, a shape-shifting ogre, dwarves, elves, and other frightening characters. The series ends with the kidnapping of Mrs. Grace and her children’s desperate, and ultimately successful, attempt to rescue her.
The Appeal of The Spiderwick ChroniclesThe short length of these children’s novels - about 100 pages - the uncomplicated, yet suspenseful and scary (but not too scary) fantasy stories, the engaging main characters, the attractive design of the small hardbound books and the full-page pen and ink illustrations in every chapter, make the books particularly appealing to younger children who are independent readers or who enjoy having an adult read to them.
The Books of The Spiderwick Chronicles
- The Spiderwick Chronicles : The Field Guide, Book One - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9780689859366)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles : The Seeing Stone, Book Two - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9780689859373)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles : Lucinda's Secret, Book Three - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9780689859380)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles : The Ironwood Tree, Book Four - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9780689859397)
- The Spiderwick Chronicles : The Wrath of Mulgarath, Book Five - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9780689859403)
- Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to The Fantastical World Around You - Compare prices. - (ISBN: 9780689859410)
- The Notebook for Fantastical Observations - Compare prices. (ISBN: 9781416903451)
- Care and Feeding of Sprites- Compare prices. (ISBN: 9781416927570)